Generaly on NLV Day people are encouraged to get their violins out and play. I intend to play for most of the day. Here are a few facts about the violin that 82% of the population don't know:
- The chin rest is named after its own function and a Mr Chinrest.
- If you buy a violin and it is in tune, it doesn't mean that it will stay in tune.
- The G string is the loudest string on the violin. If you don't believe this, put a pickup on your violin and run it through an amp.
- Making more violin bows will not mean that there will be lots of horses with no tails.
The violin is a very beautiful instrument and it is a shame that some people have to make silly looking electric violins.
Well, that's about it on NZV Day. Go out and play your violin.
* Christmas (the noun), not native (the verb)