lunedì 5 giugno 2017

Happy Birthday to the Queen.



Happy birthday to the queen,
Longest rein we've ever seen.
That's the story, ha!
Even longer than Victoria.

(poem dedicated to Robert for doing Italian on duolingo)

Good old Lizzy has done 65 1/3 years so far.

* * *

I went to the Nuova Lazio jazz jam yesterday. The audience got up to four when Shelley walked in.


I played guitar because we had no rhythm section - just two tenor saxes, a blues guitarist and me armed with guitar and fiddle. The blues guitarist couldn't read the charts so he just played pentatonic scales over everything. It was an interesting challenge to try to make the music work. Good for my guitar playing, I guess.

My son altered the above picture
  • to get the blues guitar player the right way around and
  • he added a capo so that it looks like he's playing chords behind me.

They'd be very trebly chords.

* * *

So Robert and I are now following each other on duolingo.

I thought it would be fun to have a little challenge. Here's what we have to do.
Write a sentence or two for the other boy to respond to.
  • Keep it simple. The object is not to catch the other boy out but to communicate.
  • Don't use Google Translate but a dictionary (book form) is okay.
  • The object is to help each other and mistakes are fine.
So here goes.

Caro Roberto,
E` buon che tu fai practica l'italiano. Buona fortuna. Noi andiamo insieme.

Robert can either reply in a comment here or on his blog.



16 commenti:

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Boys?
You old buggers should look in a mirror.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

In our family me and my brothers are still known as 'the boys'.

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

So your 'family' origins are from where? Transylvania?

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Ha ha. If you place the mouse on one of the photos of you and j-j-j-jiggle it a bit, the other guy moves about but you stay perfectly still.

Also, that cord going out of your body to some place looks like a blood transfusion line.

And, while I'm at it, the queen's wearing a nice hat.

The left hand picture. I think the hat in the right hand picture is a bit ostentatious.

Thanks for brightening up Monday.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Are you drinking already?

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

No. I wasn't but I've just opened a Chardonnay now.
The sun is over the yardarm.

Geremy ha detto...

Sounds like fun. I will not use a dictionary!
Here's my best guess...
You said "Caro Roberto, E` buon che tu fai practica l'italiano. Buona fortuna. Noi andiamo insieme"

To Robert, it is good that you are practicing Italian, best wishes. We are in league.

Geremy ha detto...

Here's my one for you..
Tu sono l'oumo!

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Tu sei l'uomo. Good start though.

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

I don't know Geremy. Is it a good idea to call your older brother a homo?

Geremy ha detto...

Noi andiamo insieme... if we go together
I guessed that!!!!

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Essere, o non essere. Chi e` la domanda.

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

That should be in Danish, not Italian.

Geremy ha detto...

You are psychic.
I was contemplating sending you " Ape, o non ape"...earlier in the day.
How could you have known?

Geremy ha detto...

I see your time was 6 am and I thought of it about 9 am. Still weird!

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Google Translate wins the day.