sabato 3 giugno 2017

Sabato

Learning a language is tough. You've got to know a lot of words and you need to understand what order they go in.
Verbs are not easy. In Italian there a heaps of them and they seem to come in many different forms.
The verb fare is a pretty important one. It means to make.
An Italian would say, "I make practise the violin."

"Faccio pratica il violino."


I did something really weird on May 18th - I stopped recording my practice.


I don't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing.
I just thought, "Lo farò." I will do it.
I've recorded my practice for over 30 years.

"Please Richard (of RBB) practise me!"
I'm a little worried that my practice has gone off the boil, but I can't go back. Not unless I start a different type of practice book.


Tra il dire e il fare c'è di mezzo il mare.
Between the talk and the doing there is, in the middle, the sea.


Maybe I just need to take it one day at a time.
Chi va piano va sano e va lontano.
Who goes slow goes healthy and goes a long way.

I might buy some sort of practice record book and, then again, I might not. Trouble is, I like counting and recording things. Today is my 778th day in a row of studying Italian on a program called duolingo


LATER THAT SAME MORNING...

The new practice recording book (and special matching pen).


10 commenti:

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

So why the picture of a Frenchman?

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

I don't know what you mean.

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

So why the Serbian-looking guy?

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

It's a nice country.

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Tell that to the Kosovans

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

You tell them, you're the one who keeps going on about it. Where's Robert?

Geremy ha detto...

Sadly I think it all comes down to genetic atrophy. There is no solution. Darwin's theory was that probability would result in improvements in the genome.
The probability of a gene mutation resulting in something better is near zero.
Hence today we have everyone suffering mental disorder as our genome deteriorates due to random fluctuations.
One geneticist said we have a couple of generations left before total atrophy.
I encounter more and more families, and animals with genetic disorders.... think of a family.
Sad but true!

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Read 'River out of Eden' by Richard Dawkins.

Geremy ha detto...

It's shit.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Bet you haven't read it.