lunedì 7 agosto 2017

It was twenty years ago today...

No, I'm not talking Sergeant pepper, though I do have a hankering to hear that album again.


7th August 1997 is the day that my dad died.
Now, I'm not going to get all sentimental on you, I'm just going to quote a few Bob phrases that have been kept alive by his sons and are still used regularly by the boys. I'll translate each one into common English.

Now wo ho there big Cheen.                                                        
Just stop for a minute Richard.


I think I'd better have a look at that car.                                      
I know you haven't been keeping  an eye on the water and oil and you have a warrant coming up.

I'm just going to see a man about a dog.
Wait in the car, I'm going to nip in for a quick beer.

Softly softly Ro.
Think about it Robert.

Just one minute there big Chris.
What the hell are you saying Chris?


Too much head in the clouds.
Be practical.

There are many more sayings that the boys rattle off when they are together. It's almost like a dialect at a PBs practice.
Bob was a very fair man who was, by nature, gentle towards all creatures. He would go out of his way to help people - for years he fixed all the clocks at St Mary's Convent, where the boys had their first music lessons, and he regularly mowed the lawns of quite a few elderly neighbours. For him retirement was like a full time job as a mechanic fixing all the boys' cars. He kept detailed log books on all the cars. The boys very seldom read them. He often bought expensive parts for these cars and forgot to tell the boys. His working life was spent on coastal ships and he mostly worked as chief engineer. He would often spend about two weeks at sea (really travelling around coastal ports) and it was always great when he returned home. Sometimes he used to pretend that he was strict but his bark was always worse than his bite. Bob set up a little brewery in a shed and made his own beer. Sometimes he got himself in trouble with Gloria (our mother) after tasting his own wares because he had a tendency to rave and give unwanted advice. In a pre runner to the days of the internet (Richard & Robert will understand this), Bob sometimes had to sort things out the next morning and sometimes found himself in the dog box with our mum. Gloria and Bob were above all very generous people who put their children well ahead of their own needs. I guess it's a good day to remember them both. I'll pop up to the cemetry this afternoon. To quote the movie Gladiator - What we do in life echoes in eternity.

1984


5 commenti:

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Nice.
I liked your dad.
Hard to believe it's twenty years.
Twenty two for my dad.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Wow! And the big 65 day tomorrow.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Did you like the Russell Crowe line?

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

No

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Big surprise!