giovedì 3 agosto 2017

Lopking good.

Sometimes errors and mistakes lead to new exciting things.
I posted this picture on Facebook.


Okay, those versed in the ways of the double bass might notice that there is a French bow in my bow quiver. 
A friend left a comment that simply said, "Lopking good."
Okay, it was a fair mistake, as p and o are right next to each other on the querty keyboard, but there is a little part of me that can't let a typo go by unnoticed. I blame Mrs Carr, my Standard 4 teacher who had a thing about English grammar. I remember she chastised me once for saying all of a sudden. She thought that suddenly was more efficent. I don't really know if she was right or wrong, correct or incorrect, but I've never used that phrase since.

Anyway, I thought, "What if my friend had not made a typo but was using a technical term? What if lopking is actually the term for what angle the bass bow is at when it's placed in the quiver."

People have sometimes noticed that my bow sticks out more from the bass than the bows of other players. They've asked me why on several occasions. I didn't really have an answer, except to suggest that it might be how I attached my quiver to the tailpiece.

Now I can give them a technical answer.
I like to get a good lopk of about 30% on my bow. Of course the best lopk will vary between German and French bows because it's all about ease of bow retrieval when it's time for an arco solo.

2 commenti:

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

I guess that I spoke too soon.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

No. The bass is just the setting for this story about creating a new word.