sabato 12 agosto 2017

Update from 'the bag'.

Welcome back to Richard's Bass Bag* where string instruments take precedence and the wine is always Chardonnay.
I relieved at a decile 9 school yesterday.

Okay, a slight exaggeration.


Remember that for the last twelve years I have worked solely at a decile 3 school.
Is there a difference?
I felt like I was on another planet!

I started off with a year 11 class. Okay, they chattered quietly to each other but everybody worked - for the entire spell.
They were all in the correct uniform, no one was eating, there was no paper or chippy packets on the floor, they were polite to the reliever (me) and the room was well heated.
I had a year 10 class second and wondered what they would be like. If you're going to get a workout, it'll be the year 10s, that's for damn sure.
They entered the room and, as they worked, you could have heard a pin drop. On the occasion that someone spoke to a partner, they whispered. I found myself whispering too. It was like being in an exam room. Unbelievable. Every child was able to learn without suffering it's all about me behaviour.
My last class for the day was a year 9. There was a group of four slightly naughty boys in this class, but really it was minor. They kept up with the work and we exchanged a bit of friendly banter.

What an experience. I'll be going back at some point - it actually got a bit boring at times, but I can handle boredom.

It made me really think. Get your kids into a good school and they'll have a much better chance to really learn without all the distractions of problem children. At morning tea the rooms were left open for form class members to use (there was no supervision). When I returned to mine it was spotless.


I'll be relieving at another high decile school in a couple of weeks. Should be interesting.







* the original bass bagging site

7 commenti:

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Apparently grieving can come from change, not only loss.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

What do you mean?

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Are you missing the classroom then?

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Nope.

Robert ha detto...

I'm glad you've found schools where you can be appreciated.

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Yes I agree but like to think that the 'unappreciative ' kids over the years have benefited from the teaching and someday might look back on it and wish that they'd paid more attention

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Many do say that when I see them years later. Unfortunately they make it hard for others - often the quieter ones. Others suffer because of their 'me, me, me attitude. It's good when everyone gets a fair chance.