domenica 12 febbraio 2023

The long awaited post.

 Sorry but I've been busy.


I'm back at work, as well as tidying up the section and trying to get practice done. It's lucky that I don't go to church because today is Sunday, and I hope to get some bass practice done this morning. You can't let church interfere with your practice. That's for damn sure.                                                      Obviously I won't be at the church shop either.


Actually, I never go to the church shop. I don't use condoms, or holy pictures.

Remember that 'old time' jam I went to last year, and I was critical of the playing level and confidence of some participants? Well, I'm going back today. Yes, yes, I know, but I just feel like a play. I'll take my violin and maybe a guitar. Maybe I'll try to get them all playing together, instead of one person playing all the tunes he knows? 

I'm playing a solo gig at the Johnsonville library in May. I made up this info sheet for it.



The gig is only half an hour long. I'll probably play five double bass pieces and two violin pieces. The programme could be:

  • ALMOST BLUES (DB). A 14 bar swing blues that I wrote.
  • MY GENTLE GIANT (DB). A 6/8 piece that I wrote with my double bass in mind.
  • GYPSY FEET (DB). A Gypsy Jazz style piece that I wrote.
  • SHELLEY MY DEAR (aka. SMD) (DB). A country style piece that I wrote for my wife.
  • MANHA DE CARNAVAL (VLN). A beautiful piece from the film 'Black Orpheus'.
  • ORANGE BLOSSOM SPECIAL (VLN). A famous Bluegrass violin piece.
  • SII GENTILE (DB). A piece I wrote for Jacinda Ardern. The title translates to 'Be Kind'.
Okay, some of you may ask, "Why are there more double bass tunes than violin tunes?"                    Well, that's just the way it turned out this time. In a funny way, the double bass adapts well to playing solo, but also a solo double bass can provide more novelty value. Anyway, that's my plan at the moment.

Okay, time to get the day sorted.




Ciao tutti.

4 commenti:

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

It’s kind of you to provide that warning - kind of like a Civil Defence alert.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Thanks, the jam went pretty well. Those 'old time' tunes are very predictable but they seemed to like what I played.

Robert Sees Things in Sky ha detto...

"Pretty well"? Maybe if you played with your walking stick, the old timers might have been more impressed.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

They were impressed. I was just being modest.