The Gloria (left) and the Bob, my two double basses that are named after my parents. I've had the Bob for a very long time and have played some pretty high pressure gigs on it. Like my dad, it's a real workhorse that came from simple beginnings. It's what is known as a plywood bass, but it plays very well. I bought the Gloria a little less than 20 years ago (2009?), about a year after my mother had died. It's a mighty fine bass. Both basses are great to play and are well set up with great strings. I've basically been playing the Gloria lately but have made a decision to play the Bob more often. It's a great way to keep my parents' memory alive.
Okay, I thought that, since both of my basses have family names, I should name the other two instruments that I practise regularly after my two children and my wife. Hey, it's a good thing that I'm not practising the trumpet anymore because it begs to be named after the first five letters of it's own name! If you look at the picture of my guitar, it is obvious that it has to be named after my son (George). That leaves the violin. This is the instrument that I am presently practising by far the most. So it could be named after two people. Look at the 'f' holes. They could actually be 'S' holes, so I've decided to name my violin after my daughter and my wife. Well, remember that there are two 'S' holes. Say hello to Stephanie Shelley.
3 commenti:
July 2009 I think is when you bought the Gloria in Auckland.
Yes, I think you're correct. You know your basses!
Yehudi Menuhin said that his violin reminded him of a woman too.
Posta un commento