lunedì 21 novembre 2022

Wet Spring.

 


No, sorry, I meant something more like this.



I'm trying to get our property tidied up, but it keeps raining. The spring rain is making the lawns grow fast. I also have a big project trying to remove ivy from our back fence. I'm 2/3 there but I'm wanting to get stuck into the worst part. This ivy is like a plague. It climbs up trees and even manages to get under the house. Hey, sorry if this sounds like a post TC would write.

Hey, that's not Peter.
That's Ron the builder!


Ah, that's better. I use the word 'better'
in its widest sense here and not
necessarily to show an improvement.

The rain comes and goes, then it comes again - I think I'll avoid a comparison for that statement.

I wonder if Danie Craven's picture is still in the church shop, or if somebody bought it?


Sister Strapper was happy with her purchase. The young man in the church shop had let her have it for a couple of dollars. He had also thrown in a ham sandwich. She intended to hang Danie over her bed, on the hook that Jesus had occupied for many years. She just felt that she needed a stronger man looking over her. 

Sister Strapper was no spring chicken.

Spring chickens.

Her heyday had been spent in classrooms in primary schools in the 1960s and 70s. She had taken the name 'Strapper' from a little known saint (I'm sure Peter is planning to add this saint to his series on obscure saints) who lived in southern England in the 1600s. Mary Strapper. Saint Mary was canonized by mistake when a canon fell on her from a rather high battlement. The name served Sister Strapper well during her teaching career because she basically strapped any child who moved.

At the time (1600s), the cardinals in Rome were not happy with the way Saint Mary Strapper had become a saint and fought to block her canonization. A young catholic convert named Brenton Hornet turned up and argued her case. He had a unique way of arguing for the time - he used big words that only a few people had ever heard and spoke very quickly. In the end, just to shut him up, the cardinals apologized and let the canonization go through. This is where the term 'Catholic apologist' originated.

On a return visit to the church shop, Sister Strapper reported to the young man who gave her a sandwich that she was sleeping much better since the picture of Danie went up. She donated the picture of the other guy to the shop.



12 commenti:

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

This is more like it. A real post about gardening and home maintenance. Well done that man.

I liked the story about Sister Strapper and am pleased that you didn’t sink to using references to strap-ons and things - that would have been unworthy. I guess Robert giving away his ham sandwich confirms that he’s one sandwich short of a picnic.
Keep up the good work but best leave reporting on the more obscure catholic saints to me eh.

Robert Sees Things in Sky ha detto...

I'm commenting without reading the post.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Well, I suppose it's a comment. You're like Joseph. He got together with a child he could hardly touch. Weird way to kick off a religion.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

At the age of 33 I bet that Joseph was very familiar with Mrs. Palmer and her five daughters.

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

I can't figure out why Robert writes such nonsense.
Oh, wait - he's a Catholic so commenting without reading and understanding things - reality really - is his default setting.

Robert Sees Things in Sky ha detto...

I read the post just now. Who am I to judge.

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Well, Robert read the post but he's not judging which is just as well. He once gave one of the best posts that I've written a 4 out of 10! I guess he didn't like it that I inferred that not only is his god dead but never existed in the first place.

It's raining heavily today so there's no tennis or outdoor activity.

I've written a post that Robert probably won't read and will probably write another couple during the day. Sorry about that.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Thanks for the warning.

THE WINE GUY ha detto...

It's sad really.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

What is?

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Mr. Taber? Mr. Linford?

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Seasonal affective disorder.