domenica 31 marzo 2024

Easter Wetday and why spelling and proofreading are important.

Okay, you're a reader of blogs in this little community and there is one thing you will have noticed. Bloggers like Peter and Robert struggle with the concept of proofreading. The question I want you to ask yourself is... 

Is this lack of proofreading limited only to bloggers in this little community?

Take whoever wrote the Bible. It has been reported that whoever put pen to paper probably did so hundreds of years after events took place. Imagine if you were writing about events that happened in the 1700s. Would you really have all the facts at your disposal? Now imagine that you lived in the year 300. What would your education and, consequently, knowledge of grammar, in whatever language you were writing in, really be like?

I know, I know, Christians will probably say that their god wrote the Bible. Let's not go there right now. Let me remind you of a picture from my last post.

Pay particular attention to the door.

Were people of biblical times obsessed with wheels?

It seems they made a pretty good job of building this.

So, why couldn't they build a door like this?

Evidently Mary of Magdala was the person who found the door to the tomb rolled back after Jesus had supposedly kicked the bucket.
Maybe it really happened like this...

"Hi, I'm Mary of Magdala and I rolled the door open myself, otherwise how would I get in to check on Jesus? That door was heavy, but it did roll pretty easy. I wish they'd used their technology to build a square, or oblong, wooden door. Jesus wasn't there but that didn't really surprise me because it would have been cold in that tomb. I don't think he was dead. I think it was someone else up on that cross. Maybe Brian?"


Anyway, proofreading is important and important things do get lost in translation.

Take a look at this...

I left this comment.



Robert replied (after running my comment through Google Translate).


When I wrote the comment, I was thinking, "Between talking and doing there is the ocean."

Okay, Robert sort of got the idea from his translation, but it was not exactly what I was saying.

I wasn't saying anything about there being a lot of water, or someone going to the toilet. I was expressing the thought that there can be a big difference between what you say and what you do. Robert seems to have taken my saying too literally. I hope he sticks to cleaning and doesn't become a translator.

Ah well, I'm off to see my grandson - it's his birthday today.

Enjoy your Easter Wetday, though the day does seem to be improving.

5 commenti:

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Happy birthday to little Harrison. No doubt it'll be a good day.
He's too young for Easter Egg hunts but maybe you could regale him with your version of the Easter story and other fabulations, sorry, fabrications, sorry, fables about christianity. It's better to start him off early before the nuns/brothers/priests get hold of him not to mention great-uncle Rob.

Anonimo ha detto...

Good advice. I'm presently teaching him how to steal communion hosts.

Anonimo ha detto...

Richard (of RBB)

Anonimo ha detto...

Forget Jesus, Turmeric is the true savior! I'll explain later.

Richard (of RBB)

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Really?
I would have thought that grains of paradise, holy basil or angelica would be frontrunners in the religious spice world.