domenica 12 marzo 2023

 Good morning.

I'm off to a jam this afternoon. A Bluegrass and old time music jam. The 'old time' bit means banjo tunes. The banjos are tuned so that they only seem to be able to play in G and D. The tunes have two or three chords.


I don't know why they are tuned like this. I can only assume that it makes the tunes they want to play easier (Maybe for finger picking?). 

The tunes are pentatonic - they use the notes G A B D E or D E F# A B. I don't know why this way of playing is defined as old time music. I'd call it beginner music. Anyway, it's good to have somewhere to have a play - I don't get gigs these days.

* * *

Robert the quite a few different things popped around yesterday. He didn't tell me about Joseph not knowing Mary before Jesus was born and that maybe he didn't know her afterwards.

"Who's your mum?"

Actually, the picture here is inaccurate because it shows Joseph and Jesus standing in front of car lights. They didn't have cars in those days.

My violin case was open, so I showed Robert (tqafdt) what Paganini meant when he supposedly said, "There is only one scale on the violin." He seemed interested, so I gave him quite a bit of information. I hope he understood it all or, at least, most of it. He didn't mention it on his blog post yesterday. 

I don't think I'll mention Paganini's one scale to the bluegrass boys today. The banjo boys would probably say, "No, there's two. G and D."

Well, that's it from me.

Ciao tutti.

14 commenti:

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Enjoy but don’t get into a fight (duel).

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

I think that Robert and his bible were using 'know' in, well, the biblical sense.

Anonimo ha detto...

Only lasted about 45 minutes at the old time jam. Felt like hours.

Richard (of RBB)

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Yes but quality trumps quantity hopefully.

Robert Sees Things in Sky ha detto...

Maybe you could have dome to Mass instead. Felt the same.

Anonimo ha detto...

No, I'm not doming to mass!

Richard (of RBB)

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Now I'm wondering what he thought you might have felt there.

Anonimo ha detto...

Actually it was a depressing day of hearing music played badly. I had to check out the performance of an ex neighbour too. I'm feeling a bit low. Bad musicians with very healthy egos.

I think that Robert places no value on what I told him about yesterday too.

La mamma degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Richard (of RBB)

Robert Sees Things in Sky ha detto...

I place the highest value on your fingering method.If you remember I listened intently and asked relevant questions.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

That's good.

Robert Sees Things in Sky ha detto...

That makes no sense Rich.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Why?

Anonimo ha detto...

Actually, I don't think my scale research was Paganini's secret. I was wrong on that count.

Richard (of RBB)

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

I heard that some species of frogs can live for years underground.