mercoledì 15 marzo 2023

Update from the bag.

 

"Hey! Who took my chinrest?"

Okay, I've watched the first two videos on Paganini's secret. The lady who made the two videos studied with a famous guy, who I have never heard of before, who worked it all out by studying Nick's compositions and paintings of him playing. I'm waiting to watch Part 3, which is not available yet. The lady certainly knows her stuff. 

She says that, in the days of no chinrest, players had to hold the violin up with their thumb and the chin wasn't able to help. She demonstrates the one position - where the thumb can be left stable while the hand moves the fingers up and down the fingerboard. It seems that fifth position is the best place to pivot your hand, but it might be that most of us humans have to drop down to third position to reach out for first position. 

She says that Nick wrote lots of double stops that are easier to play if your hand is constantly moving and using the same fingers. I tried this and it makes sense. She is right here.

Evidently Nick's one scale was the chromatic scale - I'm waiting to watch Part 3. She does say that the advantages offered by Nick's method are an add on to what we already do and not a replacement. She makes good sense to me.

* * *

Okay, what else can I tell you about?

There's not much exciting happening over on Peter's blog. 


His latest post has him trying to boil an egg while he gets upsetat technology. Then he is pissed off because his muffin is too small. He does make a few good points, though Robert the quite a few different things did say, "Trent Horn, when discussing the fathers of the Catholic church, is more comprehensible than this post."


I'm not a fan of Trent Horn because he talks too fast and uses too many big words. He also gives the impression that he is not really listening. To my mind, Peter's post is much more comprehensible.

Some of Robert's posts have been disappearing lately, but I see that he has just put up a new one.

Robert's blog has a long introduction.

Robert went on about a little fan on a desk in an office he was cleaning. Peter said, "Yes, "Ah huh!" sums this post up nicely."

I think that this comment means that he wasn't impressed by the post.

Oh well, you can read these two blogs for yourself and form your own opinion.

Ciao tutti.

12 commenti:

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Ah ha ... thanks for ... look, I've got some paint drying that needs watching so ...

Anonimo ha detto...

A bit of a comedian then?

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

OK, I'll rise to the bait - which bit?

Anonimo ha detto...

Well, not that toe with the ingrown toenail.

Robert Sees Things in Sky ha detto...

Why is Richard posting as 'Anonimo ha detto...'?
Wouldn't a nonexistent mythological human creation like Zeus be his thing?

Anonimo ha detto...

Or your god.

Anonimo ha detto...

I'm having trouble with my google account on my phone. Can't comment on your blog Rob, but can on the computer. Can't even get the comments right on my blog.

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Same thing happens with me. I can comment on his blog using the computer but not the phone or iPad. Just think of all the wonderfully helpful comments that are going missing because of this. "Oh the humanity!"

Anonimo ha detto...

I often wake up crying when I think of that.


NOT

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

OK but this blog needs … well, updating for a start.

Anonimo ha detto...

Ok

Anonimo ha detto...

Ok