martedì 4 giugno 2024

How can I make today's practice really worthwhile?

 Okay, here I am stuck at home. 

I have a choice, I can either write ten blog posts or I can do some practice on either the violin or the double bass.

I know what I will practise and it doesn't matter which instrument I choose.

It's something I learnt many years ago. It's time for a bit of a refresher.

On this?

Or this?

No, I won't be using the bagpipes. Let's keep this serious.

Okay, as you know, there are five main chord types in Western music - major, minor, dominant 7th., augmented and diminished. Today I've decided to work on dominant 7ths. For those new to music theory, let's look at the dominant 7th. chord first. It is basically a major chord with a minor 7th. This chord is built off the 5th. note in a major scale. It only comes off the 5th. note so it has a unique sound that hints that it might be moving to the chord from the first note - a major 7th. chord.

So, let's look at C major, a key with no sharps or flats - C D E F G A B C.

Cmaj7 is the I chord (C E G B) - see how it's built up in thirds (C, skip D, add E / E, skip F, add G / etc.) - and G7 is the V chord (G B D F).

There are three ways that I like to play over a dominant 7th. chord. Remember that I could just use the notes G A B C D E F G (just C major notes starting on the fifth note - G). Doing this can make me use 'safe' note choices. It also makes it easy to start on the root note - boring.

One choice I like, especially over a minor progression (Dm7b5   G7b9    Cm6), is to use a diminished chord starting on the flat 9 (Ab B D F). If it's a major progression, I like to use a rising melodic minor scale. If the next chord, after G7 is not the I chord (Cmaj7), I would use D E F G A B C# D. Firstly, this gets me away from banging out the G and helps me towards more interesting note choices. That C# is a #4 or a #11 (same thing sound wise) and is a much loved sound by jazz musicians. If G7 is moving directly to Cmaj7, I would use Ab Bb Cb Db Eb F G Ab. This, again, is a melodic minor scale (rising version) and it's really just a major scale with a minor third (Ab - Cb), but it automatically gives you some interesting notes. Eg. Ab = b9, Cb (B) = #9. What more could you want to sound jazzy? 

So, in those last two examples, D is the rising melodic minor starting on the 5th. degree of the scale and Ab is the rising melodic minor starting a semitone up from the root. Easy really.

Okay, once you've sorted the scales, do some practice [a backing track can be very helpful here] and USE YOUR EARS.

Never forget that your ears are the most important thing. Rhythms are very important too. Listen to some jazz music.

Buonafortuna.


8 commenti:

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Oh god .... I'm off again - under the house.

Anonimo ha detto...

Oh, I thought you would have found that interesting.

Richard (of RBB)

Anonimo ha detto...

Oh, I thought that Rob might find this helpful. Obviously not.

Richard (of RBB)

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

I'm back from under the house. Are you finished? Is it safe to be back?

Anonimo ha detto...

Give it another 45 minutes, just to be safe.

Richard (of RBB)

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Actually, it's not lawn mower maintenance. Just a few music scales.

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Yes. The lawn mower maintenance book has more V R O (multiple) and M scales.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Well, It's not like a picnic in the rain.