venerdì 12 aprile 2024

"The right to vote is not intrinsic. Whereas morality is immutable."

 I bet that Tent Horn would have said that at some point, and very quickly.


Okay, okay, I confess, I had to look up the definition of 'immutable'.*

"Unchanging over time or unable to be changed."

While we're at it, let's check out 'intrinsic'.

"belonging naturally; essential."

So, in simple English...
The right to vote is not something everyone is entitled to, whereas morality is set in stone.

Let me try another translation...
No one can expect the right to vote but, hey, morality is not up for discussion.

Why is morality not up for discussion?

Robert the mate of Tent says, "CS Lewis said that the moral code is written in our hearts. Religious would say by God."

He went on to mention other people going with evolution as being where morality comes from.

Clive Staples Lewis was a British writer, literary scholar, and Anglican lay theologian.
I don't know whether or not he invented staples or the stapler.


Personally, I don't really care what Clive thought and I'm surprised that Robert is listening to Anglicans.
As for God (humans have worshiped over 5,000 different gods), well.


I got involved with this topic through the 'bloggings' of Robert and Peter. It all seems to have started with Robert being happy that Arizona is banning abortion. 

"It's great to hear that the USA is leading the world in respecting the dignity of life." Robert says. I wonder why he didn't use bigger words when he wrote that? I mean, as a statement, it is easy to understand. That's all good, except that I must say that I'm glad I'm not a woman living in these abortion banning states who might have good reason to need an abortion. Robert would probably say that there are no reasons to justify an abortion. Sounds like Robert might be predetermining what morals we must have. Maybe Robert is one of those 5,000 gods?

Abortion or no abortion?

It seems that there is no middle ground, no room to say, "What if?"
It's unlikely that the pope will ever need an abortion.  Nor Robert.
There is no room for empathy with these old guys.
I think I'd rather have my moral code decided by someone else and preferably not that Staples guy.

Ciao.






* I don't listen to Tent Horn with a dictionary in hand.

15 commenti:

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Do you feel better now?

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Yes. Thanks.

Robert Sees Things in Sky ha detto...

'5000 gods'.
The Etymology of the word god has fascinated me recently. The god of the bible avoids titles. Just saying I am who am. Yet the first commandment says something like that we shall not have other gods over the one true god.
Obviously there are things out there that man equates with a god. The word Principalities is understood by christians to mean areas on earth that have a spirit assigned to them. It seems that these spirits, or angels, can be good or bad.
I wonder if these beings are what the ancients referred to as gods.

Robert Sees Things in Sky ha detto...

'It seems that there is no middle ground, no room to say, "What if?"
It's unlikely that the pope will ever need an abortion. Nor Robert.
There is no room for empathy with these old guys.'

I think you are confusing things. Sorry I cannot think of suitable big words that would precisely define what I mean.
Take for instance the principle that we should all feel safe on our roads.
If I asked you if dangerous life threatening driving is ever acceptable. You may rightly reply emphatically 'NO'.
But if I was to ask you if we should forgive somebody who does so, you may rightly reply 'yes'.
One is the statement of a principle. The other is a judgement call. They can differ.
The same applies to abortion. No to the practise but yes forgive those that do.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

"If I asked you if dangerous life threatening driving is ever acceptable. You may rightly reply emphatically 'NO'.
But if I was to ask you if we should forgive somebody who does so, you may rightly reply 'yes'.
One is the statement of a principle. The other is a judgement call. They can differ.
The same applies to abortion. No to the practise but yes forgive those that do."

I'm always skeptical when different situations are used to form a 'logical' comparison to prove something else.
Dangerous driving and a woman having an abortion don't line up as similar in my mind. A dangerous driver is always an arrogant shit who feels he has more rights than others using a road. He makes a decision to not care about the safety of other road users. Frankly, fuck him! (no pun intended)
Okay, then we have a woman who is pregnant and doesn't want to keep the baby, for whatever reason. Probably she didn't want to get pregnant. You seem to be saying that she is a murderer if she terminates the pregnancy. Hey, how is this situation anything like someone being a prick on a road? Sorry Rob, I don't buy your comparison.

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

Etymology... "I am who am."
Hey, there has got to be some sloppy translation going on there - I doubt that Jesus said it in English.
"I am who is. (Or - I am he who is.)" would have sounded better to me, or maybe, "I'm the guy you've been waiting for."
Etymology could be a big problem for the accuracy of the modern bible. I mean, all that translation the bible has been through, and then the meaning of words changing, is not a formula for accuracy.
Exodus 20:1-3 “And God spoke all these words, saying, ‘I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me.'”
Is God admitting the existence of other gods? He certainly is a god who seeks gratitude - not a quality usually found alongside perfection.

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

So you choose to ignore Robert's new instructions re copyright infringement then?

"Robert 'The Pain of the West'
All parts of this blog are copyright and may not be copied or reposted elsewhere without my permission."

Aren't you afraid of Robert's god pals?

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

John Lennon said "I am the egg man" if that helps.

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Colin McCahon painted big canvases that just said "I AM".

Richard (of RBB) ha detto...

"So you choose to ignore Robert's new instructions re copyright infringement then?"

All from comments on MY BLOG, Mr. Know It All!

You are obviously not he who is!

Anonimo ha detto...

“Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.”

― Mark Twain

Anonimo ha detto...

Staples are good.

CS Lewis

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Staples are god.

The Chief

THE CURMUDGEON ha detto...

Happy anniversary.
I remember, 40 years ago in 1984. I drove down from Auckland.

Anonimo ha detto...

Thanks for that. Rob was the bartender.

Richard (of RBB)